This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission for purchases made through these links, at no cost to you.
Books are a great way to get new ideas and inspiration for turning your home into an oasis. From finding new ways to hang plants to even how to make planters from things you already have at home, I’ve gotten some of my best plant ideas from books.
Here’s a list of the best books to inspire you for decorating the home with houseplants.
New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb And Care For Your Houseplant Family
One of my all-time favorite houseplant books is New Plant Parent. This book is targeted to beginners but has so much helpful information that even the “expert” houseplant enthusiast will enjoy. I had so many lightbulb moments reading this and the tips in this book have really improved the growth and foliage of my plants. There’s a reason why this book has a perfect five-star rating on Amazon.
New Plant Parent teaches you:
- How to grow healthy houseplants by understanding the plants needs
- Giving plants a home with the right balance of light, water, and fertilizer
- The best growing containers for houseplants
- Soooo much more!
Houseplants For Beginners
Learn how to decorate and care for plants with the book Houseplants For Beginners. This book teaches you how to shop for plants, where to place plants around your home, and how to deal with pests and diseases. There are 120 houseplants profiles in this book ranging from low maintenance to high maintenance.
Houseplants For Beginners also teaches you:
- Why you should have houseplants in the home and the many benefits of plants
- How to care for 120 of the most popular houseplants
- Care tips for overcoming difficult houseplant problems
- How to propagate houseplants successfully
Fill your home with flourishing houseplants with help from this book.
Have you ever wanted an encyclopedia for your houseplants? Now you have it with the Plantopedia. This book is filled with incredible houseplant illustrations and will even give you ideas for houseplants to add to your home.
- 130+ plant profiles including foliage plants, succulents and cacti, as well as rare houseplants
- Plants to choose from whether you’re a beginner houseplant enthusiast or an expert
- Houseplant care information including troubleshooting tips and tricks to ensure that your houseplants thrive in your home
How Not To Kill Your Houseplant
This book is exactly what you think it is – it teaches you how not to kill your houseplants. This was one of the very first houseplant books I read and I credit it for saving a lot of my plants.
How Not To Kill Your Houseplant teaches you:
- How to water and fertilize houseplants
- How to choose the right houseplants for your house and lighting availability
- Helpful survival tips so you don’t kill your plants
- How to take advantage of artificial lighting sources
- How to rescue houseplants before they go too far and die
Wild At Home: How To Style And Care For Beautiful Plants
This is one of those books you want to display on a coffee table and read for inspiration. This book is filled with beautiful photos of homes filled with houseplants. I read and went through Wild At Home in one sitting and I highly recommend it.
Wild At Home teaches you:
- How to create your own jungle at home
- The benefits of houseplants in the home
- How to style different types of houseplants together
- How to propagate houseplants
- How to find the right pot to grow houseplants in
- How to arrange houseplants so they look their best
- How to create an air plant display
- How to grow succulents from leaf cuttings
As you can see this book goes over quite a lot, and the stunning photos make it even more enjoyable to read.
Houseplants: The Complete Guide To Choosing, Growing, And Caring For Indoor Plants
Houseplants: The Complete Guide will teach you how to transform your home with houseplants. I was given this book as a gift and it’s still one of my favorite houseplant books.
You’ll also learn:
- How to use houseplants to add color, texture, and beauty to your home
- How to choose plants for your home and growing conditions
- How to fertilize, groom, troubleshoot, propagate houseplants
- 125+ plant profiles on how to care for the most common houseplants
- How to get houseplants to flower in the home
Featuring stunning photography and a modern design, Houseplants is a great resource for any houseplant parent.
Essential Succulents: The Beginners Guide
Succulents can be incredibly high maintenance or almost effortless depending on what you know about these plants. Succulents are different than common houseplants like Philodendron Brasil and if you don’t know how to care for them correctly, these plants will quickly die. This book gives you the knowledge you need to know to care for succulents.
Essential Succulents teaches you:
- 50 plant profiles on easy-to-grow succulents
- Arrangement tips for over 50 kinds of succulents
- 8 DIY projects with step-by-step instructions for succulents
- How to create outdoor succulent gardens that require little care and save money on water
Houseplants For All: How To Fill Any Home With Happy Plants
Learn how to properly take care of houseplants in your home whether your an experienced plant parent or completely new to houseplants. You’ll leave this book feeling inspired by all of the beautiful photos of houseplants.
Houseplants For All teaches you:
- How to select and grow the right plants for your home
- How to master pant care
- Projects and tips for which containers work best for each type of plant
- How to live together with pets and houseplants
- Solutions to issues like pests, root rot, and lack of nutrients
- Includes a plant profile quiz to find the perfect plant to match your home
Root Nurture Grow
Root Nurture Grow is a practical and detailed guide to propagating houseplants. Propagating is one of my favorite parts about houseplants because you can create multiple houseplants with just one plant and you get to share your plants with others.
Root Nurture Grow teaches you:
- How to propagate houseplants with a beginner-friendly propagation technique
- How to on stem cutting, rooting in water, runners, offsets, grafting, and division
- DIY projects including homemade rooting mediums, seed bombs, and a self-watering plant pot
Never Put A Cactus In A Bathroom: A Room By Room Guide To Styling And Caring For Houseplants
Learn how to create a beautiful home with houseplants in the book Never Put A Cactus In A Bathroom.
Never Put A Cactus In A Bathroom teaches you:
- Plant care instructions including watering for popular types of houseplants
- How to repot houseplants
- 70 plant recommendations for houseplant beginners or “experts”
- Which herbs and veggies you can grow in your kitchen
- Which plants do best in different rooms in the home
- Beautiful illustrations to inspire creativity in the home
Books are a great way to get inspiration and ideas on how to decorate the home with houseplants. I especially love houseplant books because of the photo elements and seeing how others decorate their home with foliage.
Have you read any of the books on this list?
Read more about houseplants:
- How To Get Free Or Cheap Houseplants
- 15 Creative Ways To Display Houseplants
- Hardest Houseplants For Beginners
- How To Build A Self-Sustaining Terrarium